My tips for future Au Pairs in France
By Leah Wilmoth - American au pair in Montpellier in 2005
- Bring clothes that you can mix and match with
a lot of things. Pack less than you usually would!
You're going to want to buy gifts and souvenirs that you
will have to bring back with you in your suitcase! So
make room for them before hand.
- bring books and music in English, sometimes you
will have cravings to see and hear your own language.
- Bring ONE nice dress and shoes that are
comfortable to wear and look good with a lot of
- pictures of family and friends
- Ask a lot of questions even if that means making a
few mistakes while speaking! try to speak to yourself
in French as much as you can before, during and after
you come to France.
- Pick up the book entitled: Harper Collins Language
Survival Guide: France. I always kept this handy book
in my purse. It was a life saver!
- keep a well documented journal of feelings,
excursions and names of places visited everyday. and
take a lot of pictures! You'll be grateful for this
after you return home!